Teresa started with facts (background knowledge) kids knew...
Ask your children to show you ther Sphynx pose...
Geography Facts and vocabulary
- The mimiced the flow of the Nile.
- Red Sea, Nile River, Sun rises in the East where the people lived, sets where the pyramids were, in the West. There were 130 pyramids!
- There is only one sphynx in Giza...
- Pyramid shape is like a triangle.
- Sarcophagus is where the mummy goes, Sarcophagus goes in the pyramid.
- cuff for wrist
- collar for neck
- cartouches are necklaces that spelled out their names. They wrote thier names alot so that they would not be forgotten when they died.
- short sleeves
- tunic, dresses were light fabrics and loose fitting
- people wore shorter things when they were doing work
- longer robes were worn for fancy
- Egyptians likes to smell nice! They bathed all the time!
- Most shaved their hair to keep cool and clean
- They wore wigs
- Called Black Land because when the Nile floods, the silt is great for plants!
- They celebrate when the Nile floods because they can grow plants like papyrus.
- Papyrus was used to make paper-- both the plant and teh paper are called papyrus
- Children mimiced the process with their hands!
- Egyptians wrote hieroglyphs on their papyrus
- cows, horses, camels, crocodiles, goats
- Which are the same and which are different
- Milk, meat, bread - hard and crunchy
- Mummies taught us that the bread wore down most Egyptians teeth!
- Crocodiles grew up to 20 feet! Measure it out and be amazed
- Hippos walked on the bottom of the Nile
- big, heavy like elephants
- Some animals were sacred-- cats
- Mice would steal grain and spread disease. Egyptians thought cats were magical and even made mummies out of them!
- Beetles were thought magical becasue when babies hached from dung balls, Egyptians were amazed!
- Osirus was green to represent rebirth
- Ra had head of a falcon
- Anubus had the head of a wild dog or a jackal
- Thoth - ibis head - god of wisdom and knowledge and invented writing